Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Tecnosystem Magic Coffee - The Boiler

As I mentioned before, the boiler on this machine is an all brass boiler, similar in appearance to once found in a Francis! espresso machine.



The inside of the boiler is typical.  I did soak it in citric acid to get the grunge and minerals off.  Overall, it looked like it had not seen heavy use but was still in need of a refresh.  So after a little saok time and cleanup, it looks pretty nice!



Something different with this boiler is the strange gasket and brass fitting on the bottom of the boiler, something which I had not quite seen before.  In doing a little research on the web, there was very little I could find on this setup, but I did happen across a post by Kris at



So!  Finally some answers!  Thank You Kris!  This setup is for pods use.  Intead of a funky portafilter for pods, this machine uses a regular portafilter with a single filter basket and when the portafilter is inserted, the gasket presses down on the pod.  I dont like pod espresso so I dont have any to test with, but even so, for my use, I want to use ground coffee with double filter basket.

Hummmm....there must be a way to convert this machine.  Let the search begin!

4 comments:

  1. Have you found a way to convert the machine? or even a place in the US to order replacement parts? I have a Tecnosystem as well - pod version bought used on ebay. I absolutly love the machine with its automatic milk frother but would love to have a portafilter or a reasonable way to use ground coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Scott. Yes, on subsequent posts, you can see how I machined the old pods fitting in the boiler, converting it to a jet for the new filter screen. What I found with my machine (yours may be different) is that is uses pretty much the same parts as the lelit PL041 (Not the PL041QE).
    http://www.1st-line.com/store/pc/Lelit-Parts-c172.htm
    if you wanted to buy the filter screen and boiler nut, you should be able to remove the large brass pods attachment from your boiler and put them in their place. The PL041 portafilter basket screen fit the handle just fine. Again, these are my experiences that may or may not apply to the machine you have. Good look!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh,forgot to mention...I use this machine every day and it has worked like a champ! I use distilled water to keep the junk from building up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, what is the thread size where you attach the steam wand?

    ReplyDelete